An upstream operator has contracted Applus+ Velosi for a Reliability and Maintenance Effectiveness Implementation project. The project encompasses two distinct but interrelated portions. The first portion is the strategy of Maintenance Service Support (MSS), with the second being the development of a Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) analysis of Power Plant (K-30) and Desalination Plant (K-35). After completing both portions of the contract, the Upstream Operator has awarded us additional scope of work related to RCM analysis of the remaining facilities.
- Collection and review of Upstream Operator documents
- Assessment of SAP Hierarchy and Asset Data
- Preparation of RCM based FMEA Methodology
- Failure Modes and Effects analysis (FMEA)
- Development of Reliability Models
- Development of detailed PMR’s
- Comparison and Gap Analysis of Upstream Operator PMR’s with other organizations
- Development of VAIL (Asset Integrity Management) RCM access based Software
- Conclusions and recommendations coming out of this study.
- Preparation of draft and final reports
Aim of the project
The aim of the project is to achieve the aspirations set forth in MSS vision, mission and objective by complementing SAP-PM implementation with established RCM.
FMEA and RCM analysis
As part of Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) project, Applus+ Velosi has carried out detailed Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA) and has constructed a Reliability Model for Offshore (K-10). The Offshore tags contain mechanical/electrical equipments, instruments, safety devices and static equipments which require maintenance and inspection during their life cycle to assure reliable operation. Applus+ Velosi has developed a maintenance strategy (Strategy Decision) for all these Offshore tags after conducting the FMEA and the construction of a Reliability Model.
Development of Reliability Model
As a part of RCM scope, Applus+ Velosi has constructed a reliability model to estimate the failure frequency and trends of offshore equipments. Moreover, the aim of the reliability model is to compare the operator’s failure rate with generic failure rate (OREDA) and suggest appropriate corrective actions to minimize these failures.
Applus+ Velosi methodology for reliability models is summarized as:
- Assessment of operator’s historial data / generic reliability data (OREDA)
- Comparison of operator’s historical data vs generic reliabiliy data (OREDA)
- Development of maintenance strategy decision
Development of inspection / maintenance recommendations
Based on the strategy decision, Applus+ Velosi has prepared maintenance and inspection recommendations to reduce the possibility of occurrence.
- Major Overhaul
- Functional Test
- Inspect / Calibrate
- Condition Monitoring
- Operator Surveillance
- Preventive Maintenance
- Run to Failure
- Visual Inspection
Development of detailed PMR’s
Applus+ Velosi has used a systematic approach for the development of Preventive Maintenance Routines (PMR’s).
Upstream Operator Maintenance and Inspection task development and planning is done based on five generic aspects: What, why, how, where, and when to inspect and maintain.
Conclusions and recommendations
Applus+ Velosi has successfully completed RCM based FMEA of 3,244 equipment tags of the Upstream Operator’s Offshore (K-10). Following are the observations for Offshore RCM analysis.
- Applus+ Velosi has identified high Probability of Failure (POF) and high Consequence of Failure (COF) equipments for safety, environment, business and capital by using VAIL-RCM software.
- Since static equipment were not covered in the Upstream Operator’s preventive maintenance routine task list, Applus+ Velosi has done qualitative RBI analysis for static equipment and has developed their PIRs (Plan Inspection Routines), safety device inspections and testing intervals, based on vendor recommendations and practices adopted by other organizations.
- Applus+ Velosi has prepared task lists and failure catalogues for all the equipment. It is recommended to implement RCM based recommendations and a task list prepared for the visual operator, simple inspection and detailed inspection by utilizing SAP-PM, in order to ensure the plant integrity and reliability of equipments.