THE Applus+ SOLUTION
A typical failure investigation may include the following steps:
- Site inspection and data gathering
- Visual and macroscopic analysis
- Non-destructive testing to determine the extent of the failure
- Chemical and compositional analysis
- Hardness testing
- Mechanical testing
- Optical microscopy including Fractography
- Scanning electron microscopy and EDS analysis of specific areas of interest
As part of each investigation, it is normally common to conduct a Root Cause Analysis (RCA) to understand the various key variables that can influence the performance and outcomes of the materials and components under investigation.
Also essential to each investigation are understanding the client applications, structures, equipment, processes and understanding and relating manufacturing processes for the materials in relation to the failure modes observed.
The key advantages Applus Materials Centre provides to our clients are the experience and expertise in advanced diagnòstic and forensic engineering, along with specific knowledge of manufacturing, mineral processin, mining, oil & gas and utilities industries.