Identifying hazards is an important process because it then allows the problem to be assessed, managed and mitigated. It can also help provide important input for management, written procedures and incident investigation.
VELOSI uses a number of techniques assisted by software tools to conduct this analysis. Hazards are ranked on a 5x5 risk matrix where the hazard level is marked by one number and one letter. The letter represents the Frequency of Occurrence and the number represents the severity level.VAIL-HAZOP is a software developed in-house for HAZOP study. It was developed using API 750, API 14J & API 1150 as reference documents.Among the VAIL-HAZOP features are:
- Windows-based application, easy-to-use with attractive Graphical User Interface
- Project Team and Session Recording, and Dynamic Reporting with respect to project and facility
- Nodes data and scenarios recording
- Dynamic action sheets and worksheet generation
- Strong security policy, password-enabled to avoid unauthorized access
- Analysis summary
- Action and task allocation with status and priority ranking
When is HAZOP useful?
- During the design or installation of any new plant or process, or during major modifications to an existing one
- When there are hazards such as environmental and quality or cost issues related to operations
- Following a major incident involving a fire, explosion, toxic release, etc.
- To justify why a particular code of practice, guidance note or industry code does not need to be followed.