The characterization of the properties of the paints and coatings that will be applied to a product is a key element in ensuring its quality and features throughout its useful life.
National and international regulations specify the requirements and mechanical, durability, physical and chemical properties that apply for each specific product and use.
Applus+ Laboratories performs full paint and coating characterization studies and works with manufacturers to develop detailed quality control plans for their products.
Our service covers:
- Identifying the regulations and requirements applicable to the coating based on the product and its use
- Defining and performing customized testing plans
- Supporting new product development
Our technical teams carry out the tests defined in standard or customized tests adapted to each product and project.
Our laboratories perform tests for a large variety of industries:
- Automotive and transportation
- Industrial products
- Construction products
Types of tests:
- Physical-chemical tests
- Identification and composition (EDX elemental chemical microanalysis, ICP, IR-Ft Spectrometry, AA, Spectrochemical analysis, etc.)
- Viscosity (Brookfield, Krebs-Stormer), density, etc.
- Coating thickness (Gravimetric methods, non-destructive methods in magnetic and non-magnetic substrates, microscopy)
- Colorimetry, brightness, hardness, adherence, scratch resistance, chemical resistance
- Permeabilities (liquid water, water vapor, CO2), wet scrub resistance (washability), opacity
- Mechanical strength (traction, elasticity, mechanical damage)
- Reaction and fire resistance tests
- Durability tests
- Outdoor aging (Xenon lamp, UV, condensation, rain, etc.) (UNE, EN, ISO, ASTM, and brand standards from the automotive, transportation and aeronautics industries)
- Corrosion resistance (UNE, EN, ISO, ASTM, and brand standards from the automotive, transportation and aeronautics industries)
- Controlled temperature and humidity tests (UNE, EN, ISO, ASTM, and brand standards from the automotive, transportation and aeronautics industries)
- Resistance to microorganisms (fungi, algae) (UNE, EN, ISO and ASTM)
- Increase the reliability of paints and coatings and ensure the product's useful life
- Improve your product's quality and lower the costs for non-quality, post-sale incidents, etc.
- A single partner, Applus+ Laboratories, for your product's full characterization and validation.